Monday, February 7, 2011

White Billion Chairs | Tina Roeder



I made a prototype in 2002, which was effectively the very first piece I had ever designed. Throughout the subsequent years, I continued with the project, collecting old and rare monobloc chairs on my travels. In 2009, I chose a typological selection that became WHITE BILLION CHAIRS.

What’s the monobloc chair worth? Can you add substance to an industrial product by taking away material, bit by bit, hole by hole, eventually rendering its structure too fragile to support its traditional usage? Will we perceive the monobloc, once we can see through it? Will we start noticing the monobloc,once it will have disappeared? Are we close enough yet, to look behind that perforated screen?.......more
polypropylene, various natural sizes
individually perforated with up to ten thousand holes, and sanded by hand
numbered edition of 33 unique pieces
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...